Young girl fighting for life after suspected GHB overdose in Albury

A YOUNG girl is fighting for life after an apparent GHB overdose.
Nanjing Night Net

Paramedics were called to a home in Schubach Street about 11.30pm on Friday.

The four-year-old girl was choking after reportedly drinking a small amount of the drug from a drink bottle.

She was transported to Albury hospital and was airlifted to the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, where she remains in a critical condition.

A 30-year-old man was charged with drug possession and wasgranted bail to appear before Albury court on November 22.

A police spokeswoman confirmed officers had seized two plastic bottles containing GHB.

She said the Department of Family and Community Services had been notified.

“Emergency services were called to a home in Alburyon Friday night after the child fell ill after reportedly drinking a small amount of GHB,” the spokeswoman said.

“It’s believed the drug had been stored in a plastic waterbottle.

“The child was taken to hospital by NSW Ambulance paramedicsand remains critical.

“A30-year-old man was arrested by police and taken to Albury Police Station.

“He was chargedwith possessing a prohibited drug.”

According to the Alcohol and Drug Foundation, the drug has a high risk of overdose.

“The chemical composition of GHB is highly variable,” the foundation’s website states.

“It’s very easy to take too much GHB –the difference between the amount needed to get high and the amount that causes an overdose can be hard to judge.”

Overdoses can result in death, and the drug can also cause seizures, unconsciousness, blackouts, hallucinations and irregular breathing.

Albury womanCassandra Harper died three days after taking the drug at an Olive Street house party in

Investigations are continuing.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

JUNIORS: Milly Stevenson to represent NSW at School Sport Australia Athletics Championships

SUCCESS: Macquarie Hunter Athletics Club member Milly Stephenson claimed gold medals in both the 100 and 200 metres at the NSW All Schools Track and Field Championships held in Sydney recently. Picture: Josh Callinan.MILLYStephenson has some new shoes on and they’re already feeling fast.
Nanjing Night Net

Imported direct from the US and arriving on Friday as a surprise from her father Chad, also a sprinter by trade who narrowly missed selection for the Olympics in 1992, the bright coloured spikes won’t be missed at next month’s School Sport Australia Athletics Championships in Canberra.

But while the Adamstown 12-year-oldhastaken a liking to replicas of Jamaican championShelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, her old pair had quite the run.

To qualify for the upcoming national competition, being held at the Australian Institute of Sport from December 1 to 4, Stephenson won the state sprint double at the NSW All Schools carnival in Homebush following the most recent holidays.

The year 7 student at Merewether High School recorded personal best times in claiming both the 13-year girls’ 100 and 200 metreevents.

She stopped the clock at 25.83 seconds to win the longer race before backing up two days later to complete her dual gold medal performance with 12.40s in the shorter final,shaving 0.2s off her finest career effort from the semi-final that morning.

SUCCESS: Adamstown 12-year-old Milly Stephenson claimed gold medals in both the 100 and 200 metres at the NSW All Schools Athletics Championships held in Sydney recently. Picture: Josh Callinan.

* HUNTER surf life saversBailey Proud (Redhead) and Jack Curran (Caves Beach) recentlyreturned home from the 2016 New Zealand Pool Championships with a combined sevenmedals.

Proud’s best showing was gold in the under-19 male 4×50 metre medley.

The pair then teamed up for silver in theunder-19 male 4x50m obstacle relay but individually Proud (second) finished one podium place ahead of Curran (third) in the under-19 male swim with obstacles.

In addition Curran clinched silver in the under-19 male NSW 50 line throw while Proud was awarded bronze after the open mixed mega relay.

* BASEBALLAustralia has announced the dates and venues for next year’s national Little League Championships. Lismore will host the carnival at Albert Park between June 7 and 12.

* EVER head of the National Danish Performance Team?

If you want to find out more about this non-Olympic but flexible, acrobatic,independent, non-for-profit, sport-for-all crew then Newcastle PCYC is the place to be.

After running workshops with beginners on Monday and seniors on Tuesday afternoon (3.45pm-5.15pm) they will themselves take to the stage at the Broadmeadow centre for a one-time-only show from 7pm.

Operation Silverstone: highway patrol cars new weapons in patrolling motorcyclist haunts such as Putty and Wollombi roads

Lives on the Line: Police aim to turn the corner on bike deaths Operation Silverstone press conference at Rutherford. Picture: Jonathan Carroll
Nanjing Night Net

Operation Silverstone press conference at Rutherford. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

Operation Silverstone press conference at Rutherford. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

Operation Silverstone press conference at Rutherford. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

Operation Silverstone press conference at Rutherford. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

Operation Silverstone press conference at Rutherford. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

TweetFacebookTHEY are the remote, out-of-the-way roadsthat attract motorcyclists with an almost endless run ofsnake-like turns and tight corners.

But the same characteristics that suck in riders along the Hunter’s favourite thoroughfares are also killing them.

Police will announce on Tuesday a four-month operation across the Central Hunter, Hunter Valley and Lake Macquarie commands targeting riderson their favourite haunts, including Putty and Wollombi roads.

Their weapons will include police helicopters and unmarked cars, allowing them to monitor riders along the remote and tight roads where accidents have occurred.

The Polair helicopters will be used to watch rider behaviour before passing on the information to ground crews in marked, unmarked, and “covert” highway patrol vehicles.

Operation Silverstone will begin on Tuesday and continue to March 1, taking in the summer months where large numbers of motorcyclists hit the roads.

There have already been nine motorcyclists die on Hunter roads this year, including six riders in the 11 weeks since August 12.

Two riders were killed in separate accidents on Putty Road in August last year, just weeks before senior highway patrol officers launched asafety campaign.

Regional highway patrol commander, Superintendent Bob Ryan, said Operation Silverstone was an initiative aimed at “keeping riders and drivers safe and alive on our roads during the peak motorcycle riding season”.

SAFETY: Putty Road (above) is among the most popular rides with motorcyclists and will be targeted in a new police campaign. Picture: Dean Osland.

“We are particularly concerned about the safety of motorcyclists in the Hunter and Lake Macquarie regions, who are over represented in crash statistics this time of year,’’ Superintendent Ryan said.

“All riders should ride to live.

“During the operation, highway patrol police will be patrolling and enforcing the law particularly on motorcycle routes, including the Putty Road and Wollombi Road, to promote the safety of motorcyclists and drivers.

“These officers will also be speaking to riders at popular rest areas and encouraging them to take responsibility and obey the rules in place for their protection.

“The unmarked and covert vehicles we are using will include a variety of vehicles, not normally associated with highway patrol.

“These unmarked and covert vehicles, as well as PolAir, will be used for traffic enforcement on most major roads, with the purpose of reminding motorists that any vehicle could be a police vehicle.

“This operation aims to ensure that motorcyclists ride to the conditions, anticipate the actions of others and obey the road rules.”

World first: Blackheath phases out plastic straws

Plastic straws suck: World first as Blackheath phases out plastic straws in favour of the old fashioned paper variety. Wattle Cafe’s Paul Beavis and Lis Bastian (front) with Victory Cafe’s Terry Tan and the Ivanhoe’s Kerrie Ray.Blackheath has become the world’s first town where all the shopfront businesses have agreed to phase out plastic straws.
Nanjing Night Net

Blackheath magazine editor, Lis Bastian, co-ordinated the phase out over the last fewmonths liaisingwith some 30 businesses. The many cafe owners, the servo, grocers, pubs, takeaway shopand deli in thepopular tourist town are nowall on board.

“Globally billions of straws are thrown out each day and Blackheath alone has been throwing out 40,000 straws a month.It’s a big deal.”

Ms Bastianorganised acommunity paper straw bulk buy and sponsorship from American manufacturer Aardvark and Australian distributorGreen Pack. “Because it wasa whole town response, they gave us a whole town discount.”

When stocks of the cheaper plastic straws run out, businesses in this popular tourist town will only offer the high quality waxedpaper straws, while encouragingshoppers to forgo a straw completely if they don’t really need one.

“When I was a kid they were all paper [straws], in one generation plastic has taken over …plastic pollution is getting so dire.”

Ms Bastian, who is also a lecturer in environmental management,said a town in Canada had almost managed to ban the plastic straws –“but they didn’t quite get there”;another town in India was being forced to do it by government.

“Because plastic straws don’t biodegrade, they are amongthe top plastic pollutants harming our waterways. It’ssuch a small thing wecan do and I’m thrilled the businesses of Blackheath have worked collaboratively to achieve this milestone.”

She said it was also good for children today to see small changes can happen and matter.“We have to show them that things can be changed.”

Participants at Blackheath’s Youth Cafe had told her that “straws suck” and they would be happy to pay an extra 5c to cover the cost of a biodegradable alternative.

Victory Cafe owner Terry Tan, said he “hadn’t worked out the extra cost, but it doesn’t matter, it’s not a big deal”.

Blackheath Chamber of Commerce vice president and the owner of theWattle Cafe, Paul Beavis,said he would look at spreading the message with the other Mountains Chambers. “The chamber is right behind it.”

Ivanhoe co-owner Kerrie Ray has also got on board.“I just go along, it’s easier.”

Ms Bastian said at the moment they were getting a box of 600for the subsidised price of $10, but it was a lot cheaper to buy plastic at $15 for 5000 straws.

“It can’t be that business shoulders the whole cost.The idea is over time we will discourage people from using straws.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Royal commission hears The King’s School threatened to send a debt collector to family

The King’s School in North Parramatta. King’s headmaster Tim Hawkes outside the Royal Commission in 2015. Photo: Daniel Munoz
Nanjing Night Net

The King’s School threatened to send a debt collector to the family of a student who was allegedly indecently assaulted on a camp because it had fallen behind in his fees, a royal commission has heard.

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse was told that the family owed $25,000 in tuition for their son.

The teenage student, given the pseudonym CLC, was allegedly indecently assaulted by a fellow student while on a cadet camp with the school in April 2013, the inquiry heard.

When The King’s School’s bursar raised the unpaid fees with headmaster Tim Hawkes in September 2013, the commission heard CLC’s father was described as a “bad debtor”.

The inquiry was told Dr Hawkes wrote to the bursar advising: “Failure to pay his debts should result in the usual sanctions including the boy being sent home and him being put in the hands of a collection agent.”

Dr Hawkes told the commission he had a meeting with CLC’s parents in October 2013 which was secretly recorded by CLC’s father, given the pseudonym EAE.

In handwritten notes made before the meeting and tendered the commission, Dr Hawkes writes that CLC should have followed the school’s anti-bullying policy and disclosed the alleged assault and subsequent bullying earlier.

“It was this failure to make an immediate disclosure that contributed to CLC’s alleged harassment,” he wrote.

Dr Hawkes told the commission he did not blame CLC for the alleged bullying he endured.

The inquiry heard the school’s anti-bullying policies failed in relation to CLC, who left the school in October 2013.

CLC’s father compared his son’s experience to a “single chicken being pecked to death” in his evidence to the commission.

Evidence before the inquiry into child-to-child sexual abuse in both public and private schools is that The King’s School has dealt with a number of such allegations.

The North Parramatta school has dealt with four historical allegations of child-to-child sexual abuse and some contemporary claims during Dr Hawkes’ 19 years as headmaster, he wrote in his statement to the commission.

The inquiry continues before Justice Peter McClellan​.

Lifeline 13 11 14 Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 Survivors & Mates Support Network 1800 472 676

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.