A YOUNG girl is fighting for life after an apparent GHB overdose.
Paramedics were called to a home in Schubach Street about 11.30pm on Friday.
The four-year-old girl was choking after reportedly drinking a small amount of the drug from a drink bottle.
She was transported to Albury hospital and was airlifted to the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, where she remains in a critical condition.
A 30-year-old man was charged with drug possession and wasgranted bail to appear before Albury court on November 22.
A police spokeswoman confirmed officers had seized two plastic bottles containing GHB.
She said the Department of Family and Community Services had been notified.
“Emergency services were called to a home in Alburyon Friday night after the child fell ill after reportedly drinking a small amount of GHB,” the spokeswoman said.
“It’s believed the drug had been stored in a plastic waterbottle.
“The child was taken to hospital by NSW Ambulance paramedicsand remains critical.
“A30-year-old man was arrested by police and taken to Albury Police Station.
“He was chargedwith possessing a prohibited drug.”
According to the Alcohol and Drug Foundation, the drug has a high risk of overdose.
“The chemical composition of GHB is highly variable,” the foundation’s website states.
“It’s very easy to take too much GHB –the difference between the amount needed to get high and the amount that causes an overdose can be hard to judge.”
Overdoses can result in death, and the drug can also cause seizures, unconsciousness, blackouts, hallucinations and irregular breathing.
Albury womanCassandra Harper died three days after taking the drug at an Olive Street house party in
Investigations are continuing.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.